Tropical Kingbird - Bald Point State Park

Tropical Kingbird - Bald Point State Park

Postby Elliot Schunke » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Late this afternoon, Andy Wraithmell found a Tropical Kingbird at the north end of the road in Bald Point State Park.

I just got home from checking the bird out right at sunset and it was still present when I left. It was in the tops of the trees around the cul de sac at the north end of the road, just as Andy said. The bird vocalized while I was there clinching it for Tropical over Couch's. Though, visually it looked good for Tropical with its long bill and deep-notched tail.

Tropical Kingbird by ElliotSchunke, on Flickr

TRKI5 by ElliotSchunke, on Flickr

TRKI4 by ElliotSchunke, on Flickr

TRKI3 by ElliotSchunke, on Flickr

TRKI2 by ElliotSchunke, on Flickr
update 19APR14
World life: 915: Long-tailed Duck
ABA life: 430: Long-tailed Duck
Leon life: 253: Painted Bunting
FL life: 344: Long-tailed Duck
Florida 14: 263: Bank Swallow
Piney Z 14: 117: Yellow-billed Cuckoo
12DBY14: 231 thru Apr
Elliot Schunke

Re: Tropical Kingbird - Bald Point State Park

Postby Andy Wraithmell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38 pm

arrived at Bald Point around 1230pm and walked to the fishing dock at the northern end of the park. A bird flew over my head resembling a Western Kingbird. It appeared to land in an oak but I couldn't locate it. Having seen many WEKI at Bald Point in the past I wasn't that upset about not getting better looks at this one. I spent the next hour birding the park, mainly scanning the sky for migrant raptors from the marsh boardwalk. While tracking a low-flying Northern Harrier I noticed a kingbird sitting ion the top of an oak roughly where I saw the bird earlier. At a distance it resembled a Western. I decided to walk over and try and get pictures despite having taken many good ones of this species before. It turned out to be a good decision! At first the bird didn't like me and kept moving before I could get a picture. Eventually I rattled off about 30 shots. At no time did I view the bird through my binocs!!!!! I did notice how yellow the underbody but this still didn't provoke me into scrutinizing the bird. I hung out in the parking lot for another 30 minutes and then gave John Murphy a call. We passed each other on the road, had a chat and bid farewell. I was drinking a diet coke at the gas station in Panacea when John called, "It's a Tropical Kingbird!" Of course it was! Teaches me for being so nonchalant and thanks to John it saved me from further embarrassment! I'm so glad I called him! Cheers mate. I called Elliot and am really chuffed he got to see it as well. This was my 2nd Tropical Kingbird for Florida, the first was 7-8 years ago in Apalachicola. Hope it sticks around.
Tropical Kingbird - Bald Point State Park by Limeybirder, on Flickr

World Life: 1012 : Spruce Grouse
ABA Life: 494 : Red Crossbill
FL Life: 383 : Ruff
Leon Life: 271 : Red-cockaded Woodpecker
FL Big Day 14: 252 : Ruff
Biltmore 14: 117 : Common Starling
Andy Wraithmell

Tropical kingbird/Bald Pt continues

Postby frigatebird22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:03 pm

I saw the TRKI several times today, the last being at 4:30pm. It has moved from its original location to the eastern side of the hardwood hammock a few hundred yards south of the point.

Today I also found a Western kingbird along Bald Pt Road a couple of miles south of the BPSP gate, so if you go searching for the Tropical, don't automatically accept the first yellow-bellied flycatcher as your target bird. I have photos of both (which are too large to post here) if anyone is interested.

In addition to the TRKI & WEKI, I also found Eastern and Gray kingbirds today. A four tyrannid day is a good day.

John Murphy
Alligator Pt, FL
frigatebird22

Return to RARE BIRD SIGHTINGS